Friday, July 8, 2011

are you there, universe? it's me, nestissa.

I began playing Everquest 2 in March of 2006.  My boyfriend (now my husband) had been playing, and I wanted to know exactly what was taking up so much of his time.  Immediately I was addicted! My very first toon (aka - character) was named Nestissa. I still play her on just about a daily basis.
Nestissa:

I tell you this story because this is what I spent most of my free time doing.  Playing this game.  My husband and I bought our first home in September of 2007, and I am a bit embarrassed to say this, but I neglected to do any sort of decorating or making the place personal for us.  Instead, I spent all of my time playing on Nestissa.  About two months ago, I finally became fed up with having such an impersonal home.  Mostly, I was inspired by the Thrifty Decor Chick and her amazing blog.  So, I started taking time away from Everquest and working on planting a flower garden, sewing new curtains for the windows, and finishing the remodel of our bathroom.

Within a week of me starting this home-improvement movement (that sounded kind of cute!), the universe turned against me!  We live within a mile of the Missouri River and it started FLOODING!  There is so much snow melt and rainfall north of us that we are, and have been for over a month now, 6+ feet above flood stage and will stay that way for another 2 or more months! That is a ton of water! Now, our levees are still about 6 feet higher than the river is at this time, but the problem isn't so much the level of the river but the fact that there is and will be so much water moving at such a high velocity that the river is eroding the levees and forcing incredible amounts of water into the soil. At any given spot of land along the river (that is not already flooded) is wet to the touch. Not just moist, but sopping wet.  There have already been close to a dozen levee breaches both north and south of us.

Here is a shot of the river and levee and flooding about two miles north of us. (this picture is looking south)

We are obviously in some significant danger of flooding and losing our home.  All of this began at exactly the same time that I decided to cut back on everquest and start sprucing up my home.  So I apologize profusely, Midwest, I will return to my gaming and set the Universe to rights again!

No comments:

Post a Comment